Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd Todd is offline

Default water proofing a custom shower pan.

Folks,

Everything that I've read about building a custom shower pan for
tiling tells me that I need to do the following:

a.) slope the first layer of mud 1/4 inch for each foot the edge of
the shower is away from the drain
b.) apply the pvc liner correctly (making way for the drain.)
c.) apply the second layer of mud with pebbles near the weep holes to
prevent the weeps holes from clogging.
d.) tile away.

Now....someone has mentioned to me that in addition to the pvc liner,
I should use something called Redguard (a rollable membrane. )

So I looked into it. My impression that using both the pvc liner and
the REDGUARD would cause a situation in which water that _does_ get
beneath the tile wont have any where to go, causing a huge mold
problem. What are the thoughts on this? Of course, I'd like to do this
right. If I have to use the redguard, or if there is some definite
advantage to using it in addtion to the liner, then fine. But I'm not
interested in doing this incorrectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Thanks,

Todd