Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Open riser stairs

wrote:
On Sep 25, 8:59 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
On Sep 25, 8:10 am, "The Medway Handyman"

Another article for your persusal and infinite praise....

Open riser stairs

[[Image:Stair_620-9.jpg|233px]]

Open riser stairs are popular for garden and decking use. They're
easy and low cost to construct.

Whilst pre made Decking Stair Stringers are available its much
cheaper to build your own.

Those are a different (but related) type of stair though. I think
John's stair article was about those.
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index...._String_Stairs
I guess the picture will make it clearer.

Proper deck boards are slip resistant especially when traffic is
'across' the board rather than along its length. Instead of grooves
machined into the surface, deck boards should have the surface
machined away leaving a series of ribs proud of the surface.

Maybe you could explain the difference?

OK. The deck boards have (square) grooves machined into their
surface, rather like the crennels & merlins on a castle wall. All
this does is reduce the surface area available to contact the shoe
sole.

Proper deck boards have the surface machined away leaving a series of
trianguar ribs proud of the surface which increases grip.

right, ta

How about alternate tread staircases? I built one once & my head
still hurts from working it out :-)

Yes, an article on those would be good too. You fancy saying
something about them?

Yes. Working out how to make them causes your head to hurt :-)

I think just mentioning they exist would be fine.

I think there may be a misunderstanding here. Maybe it'll be clearer
once the diagram's up.

Good picture here
http://www.loftshop.co.uk/products_d...eID=27&pID=156

--