Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How Common Was This?

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:475350cc-2dc9-4536-b166-
:

On Sep 25, 3:50*pm, K. G. Ulicni wrote:
I have a house built in the early 1920's. Every wall in every room was
wallpapered with the paper applied over the bare plaster, multiple
layers no less. No paint, no primer just plaster. It was a major pain
to get all the paper off those walls, lots of scrapes and gouges left
behind to patch when done. Was this a common practice back then?

Do you think it would have been easier to remove the paper if the
walls had been primed/painted?

I've removed paper from both painted drywall and painted and non-
painted plaster. I've scraped and gouged every wall to some extent.

Same here. Too many times. A few months ago I had some really welded on
wallpaer boarder. Extremely thick glue or whatever it was. After doing a
couple of rooms of only little pieces coming off at a time and wall
chewing, I looked into renting a steamer. Then I saw at the Borg that
Wagner made one for 50 bucks. I figured if it sucked I'll just return it.
It made life a LOT easier. I'm thinking about all the wallpaper I'd removed
in the past. Wish I had got one years ago.