Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Cavity wall insulation - cavity too large ????

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:10:36 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hi,

I've had a company round to do cavity wall insulation this week. They
said they couldn't do it because the cavity was "too wide" ?!!

How can this possibly be the case?

The original surveyor who came out said my cavity at the front was
massive - and that some companies would refuse to do it simply because
of the amount of insulation material that would be necessary. He said
those companies would frequently "make an excuse" and say it could not
be done.

Well... that's what his company has just done. They said their
"brush" that stops the insulation from spilling over into neighbours
properties "won't fit in" because the cavity is too large.

hmm.. sounds like BS.

It /may/ be true, how wide are your cavities?

You could always get your neighbour to do his walls at the same time then it
isn't an issue.

When I had mine done they didn't know the cavities were bigger than the
standard and they were worried they would run out and they had another job
to go to.

I once fitted an extractor fan through a brick/brick cavity wall of an
Edwardian theatre green room/bar and was amazed to find that the
cavity was about 12" at that point. I used a liner of aluminium sheet
to span the gap.

--
Frank Erskine