Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light The Reverend Natural Light is offline

Default Radon mitigation, electric costs and green living

(1) the active sub-slab depressurization requires an in-line fan that
runs 24-7-365, which is gonna increase my electric bill by a bit and
then some, I'm sure. Does anyone know of effective alternate-energy
systems such as a solar-powered fan or some such?

The fans I've looked at pulled less than 100 watts. Couple of bucks a
month? There are probably easier ways to save money.

(2) How loud are these fans? If I'm on the back deck and the venting
pipe is around the corner of the house, am I going to hear it? What
about at night? Will the neighbors hear? (Might want to see if any of
the neighbors have systems, too...)

I've spent time in a house that had a sub slab radon fan. The fan was
in the garage attic and couldn't be heard at all. Standing next to
the PVC pipe in the basement I could just barely hear air moving.
Totally unobtrusive.

Before I go on, let me address the naysayers: go away! I've already
done the research and made up my mind and your ranting about a money-
grabbing or government conspiracy serves no purpose here.

Be careful, I read somewhere that radon causes spontaneous
decapitation.