Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default How can you tell if your walls are plaster or sheetrock-drywall?

On Sep 25, 6:52*am, jim evans wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:20:01 -0700 (PDT), BobK207
wrote:

On Sep 24, 9:11*pm, jim evans wrote:
I have never lived in a house with plaster walls. *A friend asked me
how you tell if your walls are plaster or drywall. *How do you tell?

drywall is much softer than plaster....an ice pick (or a push pin) can
easily be pushed into drywall.

That seems like a good test, assuming it is very difficult to push a
push-pin into a plaster wall.

Thanks

The reason "it seems like a good test" is because it is a good test.

there's no "assuming" going on here, it's called experience...unless
the plaster is in terrible shape, a push pin won't push in.

Depending on where the house is & the quality of construction it could
go either way. I've seen lots tract houses from the 50's & 60's, some
drywall, some plaster, some skim coat plaster.

Drywall (at least in SoCal) pretty much took over the market by the
end of the 60's.

Why the curiosity about wall type?