Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Just had a thought about surge suppressors...

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Does anyone make a plug in suppressor that has TWO coax connections? I
just realized that I was considering running both cable and an antenna
connection to each TV in my house, but all the surge strips that I have
everything connected to only have connections for one coax (I guess they
assumed that someone would have either cable or an antenna but not both...)

I haven't seen one. You really should be doing your coax surge
suppression at the point of entry for both your feeds. There are in-line
F connector surge suppressers that install quite nicely at the ground
block outside the house.

..
The OP hopefully has ground blocks at point of entry.

If using a plug-in suppressor all wires going to a set of protected
equipment should go through the plug-in suppressor. That includes cable.
..
I had a couple cable modems blown up by nearby lightning strikes shortly
after I moved here. I drove a new ground rod, connected a ground block
to it with a short wire and installed the in-line suppressers at the
ground block. Since this installation I've had plenty more nearby
lightning strikes, but haven't lost any more cable modems or other
equipment. I don't use any additional coax suppressers in the house
either.

..
Not clear if there was one originally, but the cable installer should
have installed an entry ground block and connected it to the power
earthing system.

Also not clear if you are doing it, but the cable entry 'ground' must
connect to the power service earthing system. Best protection has the
cable entry ground block connecting to the ground at the power service
with a *short* wire. With a strong surge, the 'ground' at the house can
rise thousands of volts above 'absolute' ground. To protect equipment
connected to both power and cable, the power and cable grounds must rise
together.

--
bud--