Martin Angove

Default Upholstery Stain Protection

In message ,
DG wrote:

I've just forked out a not inconsiderable sum on a new three piece
suite. The Salesman warned of my nigh on impending doom if I didn't
get this Scothguarded or Stainmastered or somesuch for the princely
sum of £270 for the whole suite.

[...]
1. Is £270 steep for this kind of work ? My gut feeling is it is. I
kind of got the feeling that these stain protection treatments are
viewed as a bit of a cash cow, much like those wonderful extended
warranties that the Dixons Group seems so very fond of.

Can't answer your questions really, but here's an indication of the
kinds of margins involved: we recently bought a second hand car from a
local dealer who tried to sell us "Platinum Protection". The pitch was
all about filling-in microscopic flaws in the paintwork and then
applying a "tough" layer. Inside they would do some Scotchguard or
similar, and generally give the thing a valet.

"The retail price for this treatment is £399 sir, but we've a special
offer on at the moment - you can have it for £299."

[I think this is right, it could have been £349 and £299]

"Ummm... no thanks."

"Quite right... look, all my boss is concerned about is that I sell a
certain number of these treatments. What if I say you can have it for
£99?"

"I'll think about it."

So, assuming that the £399 "retail" is really a tactic to get you to buy
the £299 treatment, and that even at £99 they're not actually making a
loss, that's a heck of a markup. I suspect that most of the cost will be
labour, but a lackey at £5 or less an hour isn't going to take all day
to polish the car, hoover and wipe down, is he?

HTH

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html