Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Chainsaw blade sharpened?

On Sep 24, 12:01*pm, "Worn Out Retread" wrote:
"ng_reader" wrote in message

. .. Using my Poulan "Wild Thing" chainsaw this weekend, and a lot of burnt
wood where I made my cuts.

Don't recall the chain being so bad, but a new one --- on Amazon --- is
$20.

My question is, is that the definitive answer of an unsharp chain? *Slow
cutting and burnt wood?

And, as a follow up, if I may, youtube showed me how to sharpen with a
tool. Doesn't look that hard, but if the tool is as much as a new chain,
well, you do the math.

thanks in advance.

Take your chain down to a good hardware store and get a round file to fit
your chain, a sharpening guide that clamps on to the file and you are in
business.

I had never sharpened a chain saw chain but within 10 minutes, I had
sharpened the chain. There really isn't much to it especially if you have a
vice to hold the chain saw bar steady when the chain is mounted on the saw.
After you have done it a few times, you can carry the file with you and
sharpen as necessary right on the job site.

Anybody remember that chain that 'sharpened itself'? IIRC a special
chain and an attachment.
Seem to recall the teeith were shaped completely differently and as
the chain ran an attachment touching the chain sharpened it.
Also seem to recall that it was not successful, or universally
accepted and it has disappeared?
Curious.