Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Time for a new central AC, need advice.

Bubba wrote in
:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:57:56 -0400, wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

Also, I can add the Train 'Clean Effects' air cleaner for the
whole household for an extra $900 ($6600 total installed). Is the
Clean Effects add-on useful and effective? My 11yo daughter has
allergies and we would like to cut down on the dust if it will
help significantly.
That's "Trane", not a train...

On the whole-house air cleaners. They do work a make significant
and observable difference.

That's based on experience w/ old Bryant unit in a dry climate and
on a farm where there is always much pollen, grain dust, etc., etc.,
etc., around besides the normal household stuff. Owing to the dry
conditions, molds and that sort of thing are pretty minimal.

How to compare that to FL and a presumably urban environment I have
no idea though...

--

Thanks for the input,

Sorry about that, yes Trane is what I meant. It's been a crazy two
days. The guy actually just called back and he said that Trane would
discount the Clean Effects even more so it would be $6400 installed
for everything.

Still a lot of dough but it's the best thing I've seen so far and I've
compared with recently installed neighbor's jobs. I'm sure I could
save a lot with used parts but again, I'm not feeling comfortable
going with that route on a 12yo system.

Well, you've certainly gotten some good and bad info in here.
First of all, Goodman or Amana is not junk. The truth is, ITS ALL
JUNK! Yes, even the TRANE! You need to find a good installation
company that will be back to service it later. The installation will
make or break the unit. Goodman just happens to be leading the
industry in their warranties at the moment. Some of the best out
there. I am NOT pushing Goodman though. I wont until they pay me for
that.
Next, you need to get a warranty that includes LABOR! Not just the
parts. The parts aren't chit. You can have a lifetime compressor
warranty and it wont mean diddly. All it means is they will hand you a
compressor that you will pay shipping on both ways. Now you have to
pay labor to install it, refrigerant recovery, new refrigerant,
evacuation, pressure testing, filter drier, disposal, etc. etc.
You have done well so far not wanting the "used" or "friend of a
friend" route.
13 SEER is a high efficient unit now however it is also the lowest
efficient unit now made. Living in Florida, you will likely do better
with a higher SEER efficient unit. Dont go crazy though. Have one of
those companies explain how a higher efficient unit will save you
money and which one is just going to be overkill and never get your
payback out of it.
Good Luck,
Bubba

You need to find a good installation company that will be back
to service it later.

Ditto

The installation will make or break the unit.

Super Ditto