Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Storage solutions?

MANY years ago when working along the coast, we had a simple solution
for rust problems with small items. Before we knew it as being a ****
poor joke on homeowners, we used Water Displacement Formula 40 for its
intended purpose.

For those not familiar with the Gulf coast area, there are weeks where
it will rain EVERY day... at least a little... and then still curse
you with high humidity. Your high carbon tools will actually get a
fine coat of rust in a few hours there.

An open truck tool box (helpers), or the tools strung out on the job
when you get a quick shower made our tools rust like hell.

We started to wrap up our tools in towels we swiped from the hotels we
stayed in that were well sprayed with WD 40. In those towels, they
could be rained on and not rust. So we started putting any tools we
weren't using in the towels, giving them a quick spritz, and putting
them in the tool box.

Then we started to spray the open boxes of nails, and that killed the
rust problem on those as well.

FWIW, I had a bunch of hand tools (chisels, squares, dull drill bits
that I have intended to sharpen for several years, etc.) that were
older, less sturdy, and not "favorites" of mine that I put in a large
truck tool box that I pulled off an old work truck. I did the same
wrap, and just opened the box and sprayed the towels every six months
or so and never had a spot of rust. They stayed in there for about 4
years until I sold the box and most of the stuff in it. Others have
done this as well with great success. It seems the key to though, it
to make sure you put the items and towels/rags in a container that is
pretty well sealed to keep the WD40 from flashing off.

Our average humidity is not so far off Houston as you might think.
Our average morning humidity is 83%.

Just a low tech answer. I have no experience with those emitter
gizmos. As always, YMMV.

Hope you don't have the tools put up long.

Robert