Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default High Humidity in the home

On Sep 24, 8:00*pm, bornfree wrote:
On 24 Sep, 18:29, ransley wrote:

On Sep 24, 8:40*am, bornfree wrote:

I have consistently high humidity levels, never falling below 85% in
my new apartment. Today my dial reads 97%.
It's bothering me because I also dry my clothes inside and they take a
very long time to dry.

I rent the property. What shall I do?

First get a decent humidistat, 97% means it must be raining inside,
electronic are usualy best or calibrate yours, get a dehumidifier. If
it was never below 85% your walls furniture and clothes would be moldy
smelling.

Thank you

Not quite: There ARE some incredibly inept tenants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There was a case in this city where one tenant of public housing was
insisting on a move to another unit/area.
Even went to the media complaining of problems including mould and
that the Housing Authority would not act on his difficulties.
An investigation made public a short while later showed that the
tenant never ventilated, was drying clothes inside, all months to save
electricity from operating their dryer; did not operate bathroom or
kitchen fans or open windows!
The tenant's unit was deteriorated whereas identical adjacent units
built and renovated to the same schedule were in proper shape.
There are no restrictions on drying clothes outside as we do;
especially for heavy items such as towels, blankets etc. Cool today,
about 46 F.