Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Chainsaw blade sharpened?

ng_reader wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

ng_reader wrote:

Using my Poulan "Wild Thing" chainsaw this weekend, and a lot of
burnt wood where I made my cuts.

Don't recall the chain being so bad, but a new one --- on Amazon ---
is $20.
My question is, is that the definitive answer of an unsharp chain? Slow
cutting and burnt wood?

And, as a follow up, if I may, youtube showed me how to sharpen with
a tool. Doesn't look that hard, but if the tool is as much as a new
chain, well, you do the math.

thanks in advance.

The wood smokes and the saw doesn't cut worth squat (your symptoms) if the
chain is on backwards.

Might be something to check...

Oh, I will miss my easy Usenet findings once Comcast opts out of Usenet all
together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSYov5jcO0&NR=1

This guy shows how easy it is to sharpen your blade. However --- however ---
I'll need to get it done professionally, eventually.

Likely for $25 I can get a tool and chain. Sharpen the old, put on the new,
have a spare.

- Do you really think it's a good idea to call your chainsaw "Wild Thing"?.
I mean, really, do you?

Two points:

Sharpening the chain while it's on the saw avoids whatever time it takes
to remove and replace the chain. Keeping a spare chain on hand is a
great idea to let you complete your work in case you really f-up the one
on the saw.

Don't forget about the depth guides between the cutting teeth. As you
sharpen the teeth they get a little shorter and you need to
occassionally reduce the height of the depth guides so the teeth can do
their job.

*******

I use a Dremel with a chain sharpening stone on the little 16" electric
chain saw I've had for about 20 years now and which only gets used maybe
twice a summer nowadays. The spare chain I bought along with the saw is
still in its unopened package.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia