Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Some plumbing / boiler questions ...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
dennis@home wrote:

I am one of those that doesn't think taps should be earth bonded BTW.

No such thing as "earth bonding"

Well you can argue about the term if you want, I am sure someone will join
in if you want.

If there isn't a path to earth its much harder to get a fatal shock than
if the plumber provides a low impedance earth.

ISTM you are misinterpreting the purpose of equipotential bonding:

No I just don't like earths when there is a small chance of getting a shock
because of them.

Say a towel rail becomes live..
this indicates that there is a fault in the towel rail and that the case *is
not* connected to earth or the fuse would blow.
Now all the other stuff like pipes are connected to earth and you get a
300V+ potential between them.. nasty shock.

Of course if there were actual physical earth points on the towel radiator
rather than just the earth in the flex you might have a second earth to
connect to the pipes but that's not likely as the fuse hasn't blown.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tary _bonding