Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Storage solutions?

Swingman wrote:

Besides the usual desiccants, etc ... has anyone had any _firsthand_
experience/success with the impregnated rust/corrosion inhibitors in a form
that you can use in boxes to alleviate rusting, similar to these?:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...67&cat=51&ap=3

How well did they work? How much do you need? Is there something, or a
combination of methods, that works better? Do they work better in airtight
containers? What you would have done different, etc ...

I don't have any firsthand experience with long-term storage, but coming
from a physics background it seems apparent that anything that works by
emitting rust-preventing vapour or absorbing humidity would work best in
airtight containers.

One relatively cheap source of silica gel crystals is certain kinds of
cat litter. We use it for our cat. I'm still looking for a cheap
industrial source, but even at retail prices it's a whole lot cheaper
than buying "flower drying crystals" or "Silica Gel Dehumidifiers".

Also, Boeshield T-9 got top marks in Wood magazine's rust-prevention
test. (Available on their website at
http://www.boeshieldcanada.com/wood.pdf)

If you sprayed the tools down with a thickish coat and just let it set
without wiping, it would probably help.

Chris