Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Time for a new central AC, need advice.

wrote:
In article
,
ransley wrote:

On Sep 23, 9:24 pm, wrote:
Well my AC has finally kicked the bucket. I had an AC guy (Scott's
AC) come out and he is recommending an Amana 13 SEER unit. Is Amana
a good brand? This is just for the unit that sits outside of the
house, not any heater, air mover(?) that goes inside. I'm getting a
quote of $5K installed with a lifetime warranty on the compressor
and I believe other parts also.

My main concerns a
-brand quality/reliabilty
-cooling ability (house is about 2500 sq feet)
-how much energy savings (my electric bill has been between
$350-400/mo)
-quietness

I need to clarify which exact model but he said it's a darker
grayish model Amana that is rated @ 13 SEER.

Are there other models to consider?

Thanks for any input.

What kicked the bucket, get a second opinion

The compressor basically locked up and kept shorting everything out.
The breaker wouldn't even stay on. It's about 12 years old and I'm in
Florida. I could just replace the compressor for about $2K (less if I
go used) but the whole unit is getting pretty old and ragged.

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me. Mine was a Trane, 17 years old and
the compressor went kaput from the power chattering caused by hurricane Ike
here in Houston.

Two guys came out last night at 8:00 p.m. with a used, six-year old, Rudd
condensing unit. In two hours they had the bad condensing unit replaced with
the Rudd. It works swell (so far, see below).

At 10:00 p.m., I gave them $700 and they went away.

Now as to guarantees: I know where the AC guy lives (next door to my son)
and HE knows I have a gun. I have a high confidence that all will be well.

Regarding replacing the compressor only, I don't know for sure.

Considering the compressor is the only part of the condensing unit that has
moving parts, I would think you'd be okay replacing only it. Someday you
might have to replace the power relay or the capacitors, but that's pocket
change. The wiring won't go bad and if the unit looks ratty, a couple of
cans of spray paint should fix that.

A new compressor for my Trane lists for $981, that's why I chose the $300
cheaper option.