Dmitri

Default smoothing plane

Wolfgang Jordan wrote:
"Dmitri" wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance as I am newbie, but what does make plane a
smoothing plane. Is it a small mouth opening or there is some deeper
magic? I am particularly thinking about wooden planes. Steve Knight's
planes come with adjustable mouth as far as I know, but how does he do
it, i.e. is it a front adjustable or it is done by moving iron up
front?

Mostly it's the small opening, but the cutting angle is important too.
For figured hardwoods you want a steeper angle like 50 degrees or even
more.

Steve's planes are adjusted by what he calls a mouth block. For more
information on this feature see:
http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/pate...th_block.phtml

Wolfgang

Thanks a lot.

--
Dmitri

"Sages do not grieve for the living nor the dead." - Bhagavatgita.