Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Is microwave safe without the outside cover screwed on.

On Sep 21, 12:26*pm, terry wrote:
On Sep 21, 10:26*am, aemeijers wrote:

cshenk wrote:
"mm" wrote

is probably beyond me. *It it safe to use without that outside cover?
How far away would I have to be?

No, it is not safe and it's not just a matter of distance for you either.
It's the other stuff in your house. *I doubt you can run from a fire just
now.

It may or may not be safe, depending on how the case and RF shielding
are constructed. *Can't see it from here.
If your current cashflow can handle it, I'd call a local ma'n'pa
appliance store, explain your situation, and get a price on a low-end
countertop micro delivered and plugged in, with your old one carried
down to the basement for you. You can look the brand and model number up
online as you are talking to them, so you know what you are buying.
Should be less than 100 bucks or so- they are pretty cheap now. It will
take their driver and helper maybe five minutes on site as they make
their other deliveries, so it shouldn't be too hard getting them to
stretch their delivery policy.

Once you get healed up, you can search out all the pieces of the old
one, and get it running again, to use as a spare.

--
aem sends...

Recommend NOT.
A microwave is a powerful radio transmitter in a box.
However if you do HAVE to use it put item in, operate and retreat a
distance away (like at least 10 to 20 feet) until it stops. That's
usually only a minute or two anyway! And use as little as possible
with nothing flammable nearby.
When it comes time to put cover back on make absolutely sure the edges
of the cover (which provided RF 'radio frequency' seals are correctly
meshed/inserted. It's very easy to put cover on some and NOT get those
seals correct. It may be good idea to get some help with that; another
pair of hands etc.
Be careful there a very high voltage inside as well.
In my time as an electronics technician I have repaired a few and
recommend great care.
A new microwave (often, here, around $50 to $80 at Wal Mart or costco
etc.) or one loaned by a friend may be an idea?
Take care.- Hide quoted text -

I hae found that Goodwill is an excellent source for microwave ovens,
usually $10 or so. Apparently they have people whp go through them,
clean and make repairs.

Jimmie