Posted to rec.woodworking
todd todd is offline

Default O/T: What's Next?

"Upscale" wrote in message

"todd" wrote in message
First, the Canadian system is not by any means larger than the private
insurance system in the US. Approximately 2/3 of US citizens have
private
health insurance, which works out to about 200 million people. Last I
checked, Canada's population is about 33 million.

My mistake, I thought the US system was comprised of a bunch of
independent
insurance companies.

That may be what you thought, but it isn't what you wrote. But even if you
wrote it, you original point would still be wrong. Wellpoint Inc. has
approximately 34 million subscribers to its medical plans. 3433.

In 2004, there were 47 million people on Medicaid. If $900/person/year
covered the costs, Medicaid would have cost $42 billion.

The $900 I stated is the Ontario maximum. For most people, the premiums
paid
are quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks for bolstering my point. Where does the rest of the money come from,
then? Because those premiums wouldn't even *begin* to cover the costs in
the government-run healthcare we already have here.

todd