Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default Some plumbing / boiler questions ...

On Sep 24, 2:31*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
A few weeks ago, I checked on here as to what was the situation with regard
to doing work on my daughter's bathroom water, as she had one of those new
fangled boilers with lots of pipes connected to it. The general advice was
that if the power was cut, and the water input was shut off at the rising
main stop-tap, I could just go ahead and disconnect her bath and so on, and
then just restore water and power at the end. Well, today, it just got a bit
more complicated. She has now decided that she wants the radiator changing
to one of those 'ladder' types as well, so my new question is, given that
the boiler will be off by virtue of the input water and power being off, is
there anything else I need to do either before disconnecting the old
radiator, or after hooking up the new one, apart from bleeding it,
obviously? From memory, the boiler is an Alpha CB24X.

Being a daughter, she has total faith in her dear old dad, but I must
confess that I am not looking forward to this job, as I have never worked on
anything other than a traditional system with indirectly heated hot water in
a storage tank, and the talk I see on here of pressurising modern systems
with footpumps and so on, puts me off a bit.

The taps for her new bath have the large size of inlet, but the pipes going
there are 15mm. Also, the space is very tight behind that end of the bath,
and there are also a pair of 15mm pipes tee'd in to feed an existing shower.
To make it all a lot easier to couple up, I would like to pre-assemble the
taps onto the bath, and come off them with 15mm flexis with a push-fit
remote end. Is there a flexi made, which has 15mm push collar at one end,
and 22mm tap connector at the other, or am I going to have to fit a 22mm
connector, followed by a 22 to 15 reducer ? Or is there a threaded adaptor
available ? Or what is the recommended way of getting from 22 to 15 via a
flexi tail ? All useful advice appreciated before Saturday, when it all
begins ... * :-\

Arfa

Have you checked the power of the new 'ladder type' rad? These fancy
rads often give much less heat than the normal type. her bathroom
will be colder.
Robert