Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting skirting and new carpet

wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:09:22 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi,
I need to replace the skirting in a room I am currently re-decorating
- a new carpet will be laid when I have finished.

The skirting that is currently fitted (throughout the house) has a
gap below it which the carpet fits under.

Is it best practice to have the gap under - or should I fit it flush
to the floor so the carpet fits up to it and not underneath it.

My gut feeling is to fit it flush to the floor so the thickness of
the carpet and underlay will not matter but which is correct?

One other thing, it's a PVC tiled concrete floor (circa 1966) - are
the grippers glued to the floor or is the underlay glued to the floor
then the carpet glued to the underlay?

Thanks,

Kev

The carpet won't be glued to the underlay as you would never be able
to lift it if the underlay was also glued to the floor . The gripper
rods are there to hold the carpet .That's their function in life
Normally underlay is stapled to wooden floors but dunno how the fitter
will deal with vinyl tiles on concrete when fitting gripper rods and
underlay .

IME they either use gripper that has hardened masonry pins rather than
normal nails, or Gripfill. You can buy gripper in three types, concrete
floor, wood floor & dual purpose. Dunno about the underlay - double sided
tape maybe?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk