Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default electric metering question

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:30:40 -0500, dpb wrote:

cm wrote:
I have a lighted sign on a commercial building that I need to meter so we
can determine the electric use and divide it between the three tenants on
the property. Are there any simple meters besides a typical meter and socket
used on most homes and business. Is there another way to determine the
usage?

What's the supply voltage/phase?

Where's the connection(s)?

There are ways depends on what it is and where, etc., as above.

Alternatively, it's possible one might get an estimated usage and then
simply count operating hours and be close enough.

Yeah. If it is on 24/7 you could ball park it pretty close.
You need wattage and power factor. At the breaker(s) you can take an
amp meter and get it pretty close.