Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products whichsurvive?

I don't know - think of it this way...

a small drip from the bottom point will drip out the micro carbon chunks
that grind away on things. This was likely the early way before some
detergent oils were developed to keep them floating around and out of the
oil sump pump.

I have my air tank that way - sizzle a little and the water is let out.
It acts like a leak - but it is a useful leak.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Radiators for most American Motors (Rambler) cars. They leaked when new.

Burned into my brain is the 1970's-era sight of brand new Harley
Davidson's sitting in a gleaming showroom...with a drip pan under each
bike to protect the floor from the drizzling oil.

Damn that sucks. No way I'd buy one of those new bikes with a drip tray
under it!

Best wishes,

Chris