Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Diagnosing a possible drain leak

wrote:
A few months ago I noticed a small water stain appearing where a
plaster crown molding meets the ceiling. Recently I noticed a
dripping noise after I shut off a sink in a bathroom that's more or
less above the stain. I might not have noticed it sooner because
there's usually a lot of noise from the bathroom vent fan.

Before I call a plumber or have the ceiling or wall ripped open, I'd
like to find out if the drip actually indicates a leak, and not just
normal water draining through the drain pipe. ...

The water stain indicates a leak.

Whether it's actually the drips hitting the ceiling or inside the drain
is of little consequence; the leak needs fixing.

As another poster said, investigate for dampness in the plaster and the
ceiling area. If it is drain rather than supply, not using the suspect
sink for a while should allow it to dry completely whereas a supply line
leak would continue.