Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Chainsaw blade sharpened?

On Sep 23, 2:56*pm, Kenneth wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:46:16 -0400, "ng_reader"

wrote:
Using my Poulan "Wild Thing" chainsaw this weekend, and a lot of burnt wood
where I made my cuts.

Don't recall the chain being so bad, but a new one --- on Amazon --- is $20.

My question is, is that the definitive answer of an unsharp chain? *Slow
cutting and burnt wood?

And, as a follow up, if I may, youtube showed me how to sharpen with a tool.
Doesn't look that hard, but if the tool is as much as a new chain, well, you
do the math.

thanks in advance.

Howdy,

You could learn to sharpen your chain, but it is not nearly
as easy as it might appear (particularly with the relatively
inexpensive tools that are available.)

A likely better bet is to have the chain sharpened
professionally. It costs a few bucks, but you will have a
functionally new (perhaps better than new) chain, and will
not have to buy the tools.

Check with any place that sells chainsaws. Many offer the
sharpening service.

And one final thought:

If you use the saw frequently, consider having more than one
chain. That way, you can still use the saw while one (or
more) of your chains is being sharpened.

All the best, *
--
Kenneth

Gee, is it really practical to hire out this sharpening job. I have to
sharpen mine almost everytime I use it. I figure if you dont use it
enough to keep it sharpened you would probably be better off just
renting one for the day than owning one.
My father owned a few hundred acres of timberland and maintained it
himself back in the 60s so I learned when I was a teenager to use a
chainsaw. I have to wonder whether a not a person who can not sharpen
one can handle one safely. Its obvious the OP used his way past the
time it needed sharpening and I think most homeowners tend to do that.
I know since I bought my Sawzall I hardly ever use mine.

Jimmie