Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] NOSPAMnet@gmail.com is offline

Default Hardboard over floor - soaking it to prevent bowing?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:58:45 +0100, Peter Hemmings
wrote:

Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was told
to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this really
necessary?

Thanks

Well you don't "soak" it .You lay it on the floor and go over it with
a brush and cold water and allow it to dry then lay it in place . I've
only done it a couple of times when laying vinyl on an uneven floor
and that was the way it was done .
Googling for an answer might help
http://search.diynot.com/forum_searc...h=Search+Forum

found on the Screwfix Forum
--------------------------------------

Conditioning

To prevent sheets buckling due to a change in moisture content,
manufacturers recommend they should be conditioned before use. There
are two ways of doing this.

* For standard and LM (low density) type medium and tempered boards,
scrub the backs with water, using I litre to every 2440 x 1220mm
sheet. Then stack the sheets flat, back to back, for 24-48 hours
(48-72 hours for tempered boards).
* For HM (high-density) type, medium boards and all boards to be used
in centrally heated surroundings, stack the sheets on edge in the room
where they are to be used, separating them with wood off cuts to allow
the air to circulate. Leave HM medium boards for 48 hours and other
boards for 72 hours before using them.