Posted to uk.d-i-y
Poster Poster is offline

Default Pointing Accrington brickwork.

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:15:26 +0100, "R D S" wrote:

"Poster" wrote in message
.. .
Part of the frontage of my 1930's semi is in Accrington brick

Oddly...
http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/ne...er_to_cl ose/

'THE historic manufacturer of Accrington Brick is to close with bosses
blaming the economic slowdown. '

That is very sad news, especially for the workers there. There are
some mighty fine buildings in the North West built entirely of
accrington brick, or Lancashire Bloods as I believe they were also
known.
I haven't made much progress with my query as to whether they should
be pointed with sand & cement or mastic, but one of the DIY Forums had
this:
"Don't worry..I think we had the wrong materials in ours. I suppose we
could sue the people who advised us but.....
Just make sure you use sand and cement. You may not know about
Accrington Brick ..it has very tight joins and is very non-porous so
red mastic was suggested..it is now coming out."

I suppose that could be due to poor workmanship rather than the wrong
material.

Don