Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default how deep should I bury the post on a split rail fence?

On Sep 21, 11:30*am, Joe wrote:
I'm trying to replace a post on a split rail fence and I'm having a
hard time digging out the remains of the old post.

I'm sure. You might rent a little two-man auger and auger a hole next
to it, or put an old chain on a saw and cut it into pieces.

I've gotten down
about 17 inches and the post is going to rise about 38" off the
ground. Is that enough?

Sounds like a decorative fence, that should make it last until you're
dead. If you have livestock and they lean into it it'll last maybe a
week.

I've been reading that I should use gravel as
a base is that recommended or will just backfilling the dirt be good
enough to hold it?

A couple inches of gravel in the bottom will aid drainage, tamping ALL
the dirt back into the hole should hold it until you're past post
replacement age.
-----

- gpsman