Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default What kind of liquid/spray to clean evaporator coils

"scorpionleather" wrote in message
Once I figure out how to get the sheet metal covers off the indoor
evaporator coil, what kind of cleaning liquid or spray is the
strongest and still safe to use on the coils? I'm thinking of
something I can get at the local hardware store, not something I'd
have to go to an AC specialty shop to find... this evaporator has
not been cleaned for 20 years, mainly because the panels are so
hard to remove. Still seems to work good though, but I'm sure it
will be more efficient once I get the dust out.

I am not an AC person, but a friend is an AC tech' and advised me to
go the an AC specialty supply outfit. They make fluid just for that
purpose. I don't know if it comes in a pressurized spray can or
not, what I got was liquid and I put it in a garden sprayer (that I
don't use to spray plants). It doesn't take a lot of pressure, but
then you need to use a water hose to rinse it out and the dirt and
grime come out with the water. This would probably be a problem
doing inside coils that way, but it works great on the outside
compressor unit.

Bob-tx