Posted to alt.home.repair
T. McQuinn T. McQuinn is offline

Default Generator Livin'

Stormin Mormon wrote:
And tells thieves where your generator is. I'd rather have a quiet one.

I've been wondering how much of this goes on in true disaster areas.
Mine is loud enough to wake the dead but it must weigh around 200 pounds.

My power came back on yesterday afternoon. It was just shy of 8 full 24
hour days, but nothing compared to what they are going through in Texas.

My scheme to use my largest auto battery with an inverter caused some
speculation here that I probably ruined it. I was charging it on the
generator during the day, then using it at night for a few CFL bulbs and
occasionally some TV on a 13" model - plus Sunday when I taxed it with
my desktop PC. With it back in the Explorer it feels pretty strong. I
guess the coming winter will tell whether or not it can truly hold a charge.

Unless I fall into a pile of money or find a transfer switch for a lot
less than what I've seen so far, I guess I will be using extension cords
if this ever happens again. I'm 51 and this is the first time I've ever
been without power at home for more than a few hours. But I think that
if I lived where the power goes out more frequently I would just pony up
the dollars. Constantly jockeying those cords around every time
something needed to be done sure got old quickly.