Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Anvil resurface

On Sep 22, 9:10*pm, "Stupendous Man" wrote:
I am thinking of taking my old anvil to work and using the surface grinder
to flatten it out.
Are old anvils heat treated, or just hardened by use?
--
Stupendous Man,

I fly-cut the top and bottom of the anvil in the mill first to make it
sit flat on the mag chuck. It weighs only 0-1-8 Lbs so it didn't
overstress the grinder. The top plate is harder than the wrought-iron
body but a file does cut it. It's an English 'Wilkinson', no first
name or logo stamp implying Joshua Wilkinson made it (?). Being so
small it wasn't damaged by heavy use and I only ground the center
smooth, leaving a few small dents and the rounded edges which are
useful for shaping strong rather than decorative tools. The remaining
dents have shinier rings around them which look like the skin of cast
iron after grinding a cross-section of it, so apparently there is some
work hardening.