Posted to uk.d-i-y
Poster Poster is offline

Default Pointing Accrington brickwork.

Part of the frontage of my 1930's semi is in Accrington brick up to
the level of the sill of the front room bay window. The remainder of
the frontage is rendered and painted white.
The Accrington brickwork requires repointing and a couple of firms are
giving me estimates. One tells me that mastic is the best material to
use the other tells me red sand and cement is best. Both say that a
rub down with oil will give a good appearance.
I know nothing of these things. What is the groups opinion on the best
way to go, please, mastic or sand and cement?

Don