Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs David Combs is offline

Default really old phone lines

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:27:51 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

Maybe that should read "a telco _should_..." I have seen telco technicians
do all kinds of things in residential wiring, including using black/yellow
pairs, even green/black or red/yellow, or most any other permutation,
if it helps them avoid stringing a new wire at telephone co. expense.
I've seen them use wire nuts or twisted wires covered with electrical
tape to make their connections. Of course, when it is at the consumer's
expense, then they insist on doing everything up to standards. Please don't
generalize what is probably best practice to what is actually being
done the field.

Since the late 70s, all interior wiring belongs to the consumer. You
don't get anything at telco expense anymore. I also haven't seen an
interior phone wired by a real telco installer repairman in years

I don't think it was in the 90's that we got that they put that little box
outside the house. I *know* it wasn't the late 70's or even mid '80s
here, anyway. (New Rochelle, NY, "Westchester County")

either. They are usually contractors who are basically clueless.
Back before the US v ATT decision if you had 2 lines, they ran 2
cables or a 25 pair if you were in an office that might get a call
director phone. BSP said you did not run 2 lines in one cable without
using twisted pair.

David