Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clark Magnuson Clark Magnuson is offline

Default Boat trailer trouble

I just bought a 20 year old boat trailer.
Last week end I tried to check the bearing grease, but a bearing looked bad.
I could not replace the bearing because the axle was bad.
I could not replace the axle because the nut on the U bolts [that clamp
the springs, saddle, and axle] were rusted solid.

I used a hammer, a torch, Kroil, a hack saw, a cold chisel, wrenches
with cheater bars, and 10 hours of sweat to get the U bolts off.

This week end I launched and noticed the rollers did not roll.
Now there are more frozen nuts I have to get off to replace the rollers
and add more rollers.
I ordered new rollers from MarineEngine.com
I ordered a Sawzall clone from Harbor Freight.
I ordered stainless nuts and bolts from Enco.

I hold boat trailers way up there, with hot water tanks that flood the
basement.