Posted to rec.woodworking
Rod & Betty Jo Rod & Betty Jo is offline

Default O/T: What's Next?

Larry Blanchard wrote:

snip
Nobody in Canada or other countries with "socialized" medicine goes
bankrupt from medical bills.

It happens in the US with disturbing frequency. I'd say at least 2
or 3 times a year I read appeals for help in our local paper - not for
indigents, but for middle class people who have exhausted their
resources, and in some cases the resources of family members.

You've heard of Medicaid? Those in such unfortunate circumstances do and
will receive needed care....as well as transportation(in most locales) to
said needed medical appointments. They may indeed lose assets but that kind
of follows anyone whom declines or can't afford insurance be it for their
house (fire), car (wreck) or medical (health).

What I don't understand is why it is the Gov. or insurance companies or
everybody but who are often treated as the villains when it is the medical
providers themselves and the drug companies that have increased medical
costs by at least 3X the inflation rate for the past few decades.
Profiteering at the expense of the ill seems like the true problem. I have
a few co-pays today exceeding the total cost of a specific medical service
in the 70's........Rod