Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Sky boxes

David Hansen wrote:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:13:05 +0100 someone who may be Dave
wrote this:-

I have got all that, except the cables, but they are available locally.

The only thing to add is to use water-resistant connectors for
outside. Either rubber boots of self-amalgamating tape.

The dish and installation were provided by the company that rents out
the house that the dish is bolted to, next door. The cables are attached
to my house to get to the house on the other side which is also rented.
I wrote about the legality of this dish over hanging my property earlier
this year, but I have not yet pressed my message home

You may, optionally, want to get a signal strength meter, like
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48325. The
positioning of a dish has to be fairly precise and a meter helps get
the ideal alignment.

No need, the installing comp did all that for me :-)

The other thing to consider is whether you want a dual feed.
Recorders need two feeds if they are to record two things at once,
or record one thing while you watch another. As you haven't put up
anything yet I suggest you consider getting a twin LNB, for example
http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?id=1501&catid=12&subcat=50
which is connected via two cables to two sockets.

We have one feed to a socket that has 2 sat outputs on the front of it,
so I'll have to look at that later.

There are then two
flying leads between the sockets and receiver. There is a fashion
not to fit sockets, it is claimed this gives a better signal though
I suspect it is more to do with saving cost. Provided they are
fitted properly sockets are fine.

Recorders are fairly expensive, but useful. They can occasionally be
picked up one from the likes of Lidl for more sensible prices

Many thanks for your input. Sky are due this Thursday.

Dave