Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck W1CEW Chuck W1CEW is offline

Default Possible to Mix Composite Decking Material w/Pressure TreatedWood?

On Sep 22, 11:25*am, Joe wrote:
Some pressure treatments *for wood are paintable. FWIW, my basement
stairs still look fine after a decade in typical old basement/crawl
space conditions. However,the coarse grained wet treated kind of wood
seems to be a different sort as I found out by attempting to paint an
outdoor rose arbor. There may be primers and paints that are rugged
enough for what you need, perhaps an epoxy paint. Ask at a pro paint
store for best advice.
Your reservations about mix and match materials is valid. Even if it
worked it might not be esthetically pleasing. You might want to
consider some of the prefab assemblies at the box stores for a
complete relacement. Good luck.

Joe

Thanks Joe, Steve and the bunch... great suggestions. Last year I did
rent a power washer and the folks at the paint store said to try a
*stain* rather than what appeared to be latex paint. I may go the
epoxy route if I can blow the loose stuff off. BTW, it ends up making
a huge mess that it really hard to clean up, paint chips all over the
yard. My wife really just wants to rebuild the thing because they
look so terrible.

Anyway, thanks again -- I'm probably eventually headed the "prefab"
direction, though it may need to wait until Spring at this rate.

-Chuck