Posted to alt.home.repair
T. McQuinn T. McQuinn is offline

Default Generator Livin'

wrote:
On 22 Sep 2008 08:52:09 -0700, Josh wrote:

In article , Old and Grunpy says...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Take two thousand watts, and call me in the morning.

Please write some more, of how you coped with various things. We can learn
from your experience.

--
Dr. Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"T. McQuinn" wrote in message
m...
I've been watching the deal sites for a good price on a quality UPS for
a while now. Eventually I will have one.

The battery from the Explorer with the 1200/3600 watt inverter got me
through my critical processes. But I may be teetering on the brink of
insanity here on day 8. I skip right over ads that have models in
skimpy outfits and drool over the Honda EU2000 pictures.............

you are insan if you want us to believe that you are running 1200 wats
of your Explorer batttery and never mine 3600, learn how to use volt and
amp. meter
Tony

He didn't say he was, just that the inverter COULD make 1200/3600 watts. If
he's running a desktop computer that's maybe 200w, plus a monitor, so maybe 275W
total. That battery will do it easily. It has at least 10X the capacity of
most small UPS's that run a computer.

You are confused. The computer draws 275 watts at 120 volts. The power
source is a 12 volt battery.

a quick and rough way to guestimate power consumption for things in a
12 volt system, as found in an RV or boat is that 10 watts equals 1
amp draw. So if your computer draws 275 watts, that works out to a
27.5 amp draw on that poor battery. If you had a high quality deep
cycle group 27 size 12 volt battery, it may have as much as a 100 amp
hour rating. You cannot draw it down more than 50% of capacity without
seriously shortening it's service life. So you have about 50 amp hours
to run your computer. That's less than 2 hours running the computer,
ON A HEAVY DUTY DEEP CYCLE BATTERY.

He doesn't have a deep cycle battery. It probably has less than 100
amp hour capacity, too. If he runs that truck battery down to 50%,
he'll be shopping for a new battery pretty quickly. It won't do that
more than a few times before it's ruined and loses most of it's
capacity permanently.

All true. I don't know how far down I drained the battery and I
accepted that I might ruin it before I ever started. I have employees
and I needed to run QuickBooks Payroll and make payroll deposits to the
feds. The cost of a battery is an acceptable loss and I just may
consider getting myself a deep cycle battery. I may even have the board
of directors meet (me) and vote on getting a corporate deep cycle
battery if my accountant approves it!!!