Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how deep should I bury the post on a split rail fence?

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:30:40 -0700 (PDT), Joe
wrote:

I'm trying to replace a post on a split rail fence and I'm having a
hard time digging out the remains of the old post. I've gotten down
about 17 inches and the post is going to rise about 38" off the
ground. Is that enough? I've been reading that I should use gravel as
a base is that recommended or will just backfilling the dirt be good
enough to hold it?

The post needs to be below the frost line if you want to avoid the
freeze-thaw upheaving. Put a 2" layer of gravel in the hole before
placing in the post.