Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default For Tile - How Level is "Level"?????????

infiniteMPG wrote:

Buy your tile from a tile store. It might cost a little more, but
you'll get it back in support.

Was shopping at the same place I got my cabinets. They're an outlet
that sells mainly to contractors but they also sell to walk-ins.

That should be fine. Pick the brains of the people who work there.

The problem comes when there's a void under the tile. Spread the
thinset well on the floor and butter the back of the tile. That'll
give you better coverage.

Will the thinset list what the thickest it should be supplied? And
what about tile size? Was looking at 12x12 but with the floor was
maybe thinking smaller to avoid more issues with level (if that is an
issue to start with).

The thinset will list the type of trowel to be used, probably a
1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4. That will leave ridges of thinset 1/4" wide, 1/4"
high, and 1/4" apart. When you squish it down, the tile will be around
1/8" off the floor. If you also butter the back of the tile, the
thinset will be a little thicker.

The goal is to get the four edges of each tile even with the edges of
the adjacent tile. (You don't want a tripping hazard.) That will get
you reasonably close to level for most jobs. If you're really
persnickety, you can put a straightedge over several tiles and adjust
accordingly. This is pretty much the *only* way to get it level when
you have *large* variances.

I like a polymer-modified thinset. Ask the guy at the store which one
is best for you.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement