Posted to alt.home.repair
wrldruler wrldruler is offline

Default Insulating Crawl Space (formerly garage)

Converting garage into family room. Framer starts today, so I can move
past the framing questions, and onto insulation. I asked an insulation
question before, but my design changed today, so asking for new
advice.

I will now have a 3 foot crawl space (foundation walls and existing
garage slab), then a full sub-floor with insulation (2x10 R30), and
then 9' of stud walls.

Questions about insulating the crawl space:

(1) Do I still need to put foam board insulation on the foundation
walls, now that all of the foundation wall will be below the floor? Or
will the floor R30 be enough to keep out any cold coming from the
foundation walls?

(2) I still want to put a 6mil poly vapor retarder down. Should the
poly now cover all the foundation walls, as well as the slab?

(3) How should I physically attach the poly to the slab/walls? Does it
need to be stapled, glued down, etc?

Thanks,

Chris