Posted to sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,sci.energy,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jeff[_7_] Jeff[_7_] is offline

Default Radiant Floor heating - nonliquid?

wrote:
I see a lot of "Radiant Floor Heating" with a rubbery tubing stapled under
the floor. SInce I tend to be in horror of any kind of leaks, I wonder why
they don't use some compresses gas instead?

Nothing has a greater heat capacity than water (per pound). You would
need to run a *lot* of air through the system, that's why forced air
systems have large ducts and run hotter.

Even mini duct systems need to run the same *volume* of air as their
larger brethren. Now think of running several hundred cfm through even a
1" tube. Daunting and a lot of loss both in pumping and line loss.
Completely impractical.

Leaks really aren't a problem in underfloor staple up systems. The
runs tend to be in one piece for each room.

I believe the better underfloor systems use not "rubber" hoses but
PEX (cross linked polyethelene with oxygen barriers) with heat spreaders.

The only problem I've heard of with that (PEX) has been rodents.

Jeff

Mind you, I have even had experience with central venting "leaking": I
haven't used a/c since my folks died but my uncle's a/c duct sweats onto my
ceiling. That's the price for freeloading (hot air rises) off his a/c.