Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Possible to Mix Composite Decking Material w/Pressure TreatedWood?

On Sep 22, 8:33*am, Chuck W1CEW wrote:
We have pressure treated wood stairs leading up to our front door from
the street level. *At some point someone decided to paint that
material, and EVERY year, I have to repaint, because the paint doesn't
seem to really "stick" well to the pressure treated wood material. *It
peels off in ugly patches. *Not how I want my front entryway to appear
of course! *One thought I had is to replace the most visible pieces,
(stair treads and rails) with new composite planks. *However, I am not
sure it is possible or advisable to mix and match these materials?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Chuck

Some pressure treatments for wood are paintable. FWIW, my basement
stairs still look fine after a decade in typical old basement/crawl
space conditions. However,the coarse grained wet treated kind of wood
seems to be a different sort as I found out by attempting to paint an
outdoor rose arbor. There may be primers and paints that are rugged
enough for what you need, perhaps an epoxy paint. Ask at a pro paint
store for best advice.
Your reservations about mix and match materials is valid. Even if it
worked it might not be esthetically pleasing. You might want to
consider some of the prefab assemblies at the box stores for a
complete relacement. Good luck.

Joe