Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stainless steel for wood stove?

Jim Wilkins fired this volley in news:5e7af89e-
:

Does anyone have experience with the durability of stainless steel
hardware in a wood stove firebox? Google shows conflicting claims

from
various manufacturers.

The problem is that most corrosion-resistant steels lose much of that
property at the heat encountered there.

The only solution to it is to protect the steel parts from the heat
with a refractory brick (or panel) liner. If your stove never had a
liner, it's tough to add one that's thick enough to do the job, and
still not rob too much volume from the box.

Still, I'd rather have SS fasteners than merchant stock steel. At
least there's the chance they won't be a solid lump by the time I must
get them back out.

LLoyd