Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sky boxes

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 07:51:49 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

The only thing to add is to use water-resistant connectors for
outside. Either rubber boots of self-amalgamating tape.

Yep slipped my mind, automatic to use self-amalgamating tape on any
permenant connection outside. IMHO boots never seal properly. I've taken
(cut) SA tape off conections that have been outside for many years and you
wouldn't know it.

You may, optionally, want to get a signal strength meter, like
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48325.

Does that one beep? I find that the variable tone is much easier to use
when perched on top of a ladder than something you have to look at fairly
closely to see the small changes on a meter as you do the last final
adjustments.

Sky boxen have a built it signal/strength quality meter but that does
required you to be able to see the TV and they are pretty slugged as well
but it can be done that way.

The other thing to consider is whether you want a dual feed.

Good point, a twin LNB as a minimum but if you even have thoughts of
recording and having a set in another room then a quad is a better bet.
Fully cable it up into the house even if the unused cables just get coiled
up somewhere. Running cables through walls and being up ladders is the
hard bit, do it all in one go.

There is a fashion not to fit sockets, it is claimed this gives a better
signal though I suspect it is more to do with saving cost.

In the case of Sky installers saving time is probably more important.
Terminating a cable to a face plate and fitting a surface mount box would
add 5 to 10mins and when you have 1/2 a dozen installs to do in a day and
travel time between 'em you don't want to be messing about doing a neat
job and certainly no time for hiding cables in walls or cutting out for
back boxes and flush sockets...

There is a bit of loss associated with every joint you have so keeping
them to a minimum is sensible but a home run from LNB to a face plate and
single lenght of cable (per connection) from there to the box shouldn't be
a problem. Always use good quality satellite rated cable though not yer
average UHF down lead. Quality cable is *much* more important.

--
Cheers
Dave.