Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
mm mm is offline

Default Comcast Dropping Usenet

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:29:13 -0700, UCLAN wrote:

mm wrote:

But I can't understand how the two of you don't know that you can't
tell just from looking, and why you think there was no sig. when I've
told you there was one**. And why it's so important to each of you,
and why you're so sure you're right, that you go to the trouble to
post.

"Read my sig" was meant to tell the OP that he should look at the
bottom for critical information, in case he became bored by the
details in the text about what was needed for conversion, etc.

A) There was no sig (as Google will verify.) It appeared as plain
text in the body of your message. Nothing to distinguish it as a
sig rather than just more of your post.

And why would that matter to the OP?

How was one to know where
your text stopped and your sig began?

Why does he have to know?

As long as he reads to the end, he'll see the part I especially wanted
him to see.

My post in reply to Michael disputes the notion that a sig. has to
start with --b. I don't think it does, so therefore Google can't
verify that there was no sig. Such a sig. can be recognized when it
appears over and over after*** every article a person posts. ***Of
course one or more newsreaders allow for inserting a sig. other than
at the end.

B) You're taking the trouble to reply. What does that say?

I already know that I have a morbid curiosity about things like this
and the people who do them. But you didn't answer why you thought it
important enough to post. You may have more time for self-examination.
--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscribe.php
which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month,
including alt, misc, the big 8 and everything else, 12 gigs is
far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.