Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is microwave safe without the outside cover screwed on.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:35:04 -0500, dpb wrote:

If shielding is in place and no seal leaks, etc., there's very little
evidence of any problem. The question here is how much the removed
cover is actually shielding as opposed to the cosmetic cover.

I'd reiterate the suggestion to at least slide the cover back on the

I can do that.

unit and then not stay in the immediate vicinity (as in hover over it

I never do that! I usually sit 6 to 8 feet away and I used a Radio
Shack microwave meter to check leakage when I first got this
microwave. It was zero or appeared that way with an analog meter with
the cover ON.

waiting) while it's on as probably being reasonable precautions.

If that proves excessively difficult, starting it and leaving the room
completely would still undoubtedly be ok. (Staying probably would, too,
but since one can't tell where there might be a fairly strong beam

Hmmm.

unless and until there's evidence of heating, caution is better than
not. The cataract thing is long term damage and why take excessive
chance kind of reasoning.)

Absolutely.

Thanks to you and to all.