Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default how deep should I bury the post on a split rail fence?

On Sep 21, 11:30*am, Joe wrote:
I'm trying to replace a post on a split rail fence and I'm having a
hard time digging out the remains of the old post. I've gotten down
about 17 inches and the post is going to rise about 38" off the
ground. Is that enough? I've been reading that I should use gravel as
a base is that recommended or will just backfilling the dirt be good
enough to hold it?

Many places 1/3 is the rule, some more some less, it depends on the
stress that the fence may get (holding up a gate, or having kids climb
the fence or containing large animals. It also depends on the local
soil conditions. It is always a good idea to have several or more
inches of gravel in the bottom of the hole to allow drainage and
reduce rot.