BigWallop

Default Managing house extensions

"Dave" wrote in message
We're about to get some building work done involving the usual mix of
groundwork, brickwork, roofing, windows, plastering, plumbing, decorating
and electrics. I know that if I just get a builder to "do it" I'll be

paying
OTT for the various trades but am unsure about whether to manage it myself
and bring in the trades as needed.
Has anyone any experience of doing this or any advice?

Dave S

As you need the ground work done first, before anything else can go on top,
do you understand the requirements of ground drainage and sewerage/waste
water removal needs for your house ? Are you working from predefined plans
that have already been laid down and passed by an architect or local
authority planning dept' ?

There is a lot more to do than you may think, so be very careful where you
start, as it is the most important part of the job. You don't get a good
building on bad foundations, so do you understand the why's and wherefore's
of even beginning the build ?

Once the skin is up and weather tight, then do you understand what comes
next ? Do you do the plumbing and electrics, or do you have the ceiling
lined and lagged ? Is the drainage in place ?

If you frown at any of these questions, then I'd advise you to get someone
else to manage the work. If you are laughing at my questions and saying to
yourself "Of course I know all these things" then go ahead and do the
management.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com