Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Comcast Dumping Newsgroups

On 2008-09-21, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article et,
Erik wrote:

Hi all,

I saw in some other groups that Comcast will soon be dumping newsgroup
access.

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

[ ... ]

So, I'm in the market for a newsgroup service. Comcast used Giganews,
which worked well except when Comcast screwed it up somehow. Going
direct eliminates one layer of trouble.

What else do people use and like, or hate, and why?

I use newsguy (check out http://www.newsguy.com for
information). They offer both web access and NNTP access, along with
their own custom newsreaders for Windows systems (which I have never
tried because I connect from my unix systems).

If you follow newsguy.announce and newsguy.general, you will get
advance notice of things which might impact your newsreading, such as a
recent move to new servers in Virginia, and you will get to know the
people behind the company.

They are in the practice of offering a free month of access to
those who have been disenfranchised by ISP's dropping news service.

There are others -- but this is the one which I picked when my
previous ISP dropped newsfeeds (including to my personal news servers,
and a couple of weeks later, killed their own news server as well.

FWIW -- if you mention the name of who recommended them to you,
they will get some credit to their own account. Don't feel that you
have to for me -- but it would be nice. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564